A Tryst with My Thoughts

'Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your mind; for the soul is dyed by the thoughts.' ~ Marcus Aurelius Look here-for words that mirror my thoughts ,images that reflect my soul.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Grapes are Sour...or not?

Hiya had a 'Library' period at school today.It is a period in which the children are required to read a book.It appears that Hiya got to read the well-loved story about the fox and the grapes.She told me in great detail about how the fox jumped again and again and gain to eat the grapes and having failed, walked off, saying,"The grapes are too high. I cannot reach them."

Now i was a little taken aback by this new ending and I told her that the fox walked off saying, "The grapes are sour".To this, my six year old daughter replied,"well mamma, the fox couldnt taste the grapes.How could it say the grapes were sour?"

And then I realised that what I was seeing or rather hearing, was a perfect example of what we refer to as 'pre-operational thinking in childre in the ages of 4-7 years'. Preoperational children believe that everyone sees what they see, hears what they hear, and knows what they know. Their thinking is very concrete, and does not include logical or abstract reasoning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home